Sunday, February 3, 2013

"How I learned to Drive" by Vogel


In How I Learned to Drive, Vogel choose to have a small Greek chorus to portray every character except Lil’bit and Peck.  I think that this choice was made because the other characters in the play besides lil’bit and Peck were sort of not that significant.  I think a good term to refer to them would be “the peanut gallery.’ And so since the medium is he message I inferred that since Vogel chose to use a chorus it was her intention to not make them look like they had a huge effect on Lil’ Bit’s opinions and decisions.  So a greek chorus type approach would be a more effective way to convey this then if each character was defined and played by the same person.  O an audience a greek chorus seems more like an aid to the production, not necessarily an influence.  So I definitely believed that it was useful in that it honed on focus as to which character’s words were more weighted. 
            The fact that Vogel had written in the stage notes how often lil’bit breaks the fourth wall and directly addresses the audience at first very much took me off guard and didn’t make much sense.  My guess as to why Vogel decided to make lil’bit’s character and only little bit’s character to break the fourth wall is because the title of the play is called “How I learned to Drive” so the title is basically telling us that ths whole play will be from the perspective of one person and that it ill be set up in a “how to” way and when it comes to giving directions about anything it is important to be a specific as possible, so I believe that Vogel thought that she could write lil’bt to be the most true and blunt about what she was saying or thinking about the happening going in stage was to explicitly look at the audience and tell them to ensure that the audience was very aware of her understanding of the situations that presented themselves in the play. 

2 comments:

  1. I actually really liked the way Li'l Bit broke the fourth wall. I agree it took my by surprise the first time, but I think this choice was made because it shows times when Li'l Bit is actually in control, since the metaphor about driving and control go hand in hand. These were the times that I could understand what was going through Li'l Bit's mind since she's ignored by the chorus' throughout the play since they choose to ignore what is really going on when they can change things. So yeah, I agree with you in that this was a great way to see the true colors of Li'l Bit during this play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Taylor, and I think it was an interesting point that she brought up. I personally liked that Lil' Bit broke the fourth wall quite frequently. For me, it made Lil' Bit more of a person rather than a character in a story. It was her story and she was telling it to us. Because she directly adresses us, it made her story more personal and real. I also think if we didn't get a one on one interaction with her and only saw her within the story, we would view her more as a victim of the situation. It would be interesting to see the play with Lil' Bit never addressing the audience.

    ReplyDelete