Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Overmayer's On The Verge


In Overmayer’s play On The Verge, if I were a dramaturg in charge of coming up with a publicity poster I believe that the back ground of the poster would be covered in dense vegetation, like a tropical jungle, but the colors would not be limited to just green, there would be an excessive amount of florals involved but only using three other colors to represent the imaginations of each of the three women.  In addition to the jungle background, there would be messages discretely carved in the trees that read important dates like 1910, 1929, 1955 and on and they would all be placed sporadically to where they are not in chronological order to represent time travel and the prominent events that occur in the play.  Finally, in the center I would just place the title and playwright of the play, while being carefully to not obscure the flora and such so that the dates are hidden and that people coming to see the show will be reminded of the poster and know why those particular dates were chosen once they see the show and then be able to understand their significance. 
From what I have gathered, I believe that Mr. Coffee is a god-like figure or possibly Death? He is definitely an all knowing and sort of omnipresent character who has no historical references and isn’t limited by time.  Mr. Coffee also met with Grover at had times when he was being risky with his life and he mentions that the last time he saw Grover was 1929 which was the year that Grover killed himself, so I believe that Mr. Coffee has to be some kind of God presence or death since Mr. Coffee is only mentioned to have encountered characters at desperate or hard times.  

6 comments:

  1. I like your design idea Yvette. The three colors representing each of the character’s imagination is really clever and I didn’t even think about including some of the dates in mine. I also agree with you that Mr. Coffee is different. Initially, I thought he may have been someone from the future just hopping around, you know, the reverse of what the girls are doing. After discussing it in class and reading your blog, I’m starting to see him as an entity. He’s certainly special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Donavon. This is very clever. I really like how detached it is from the basics of the play but still says a lot about what's going on once you have seen it, if that makes any sense? I'm curious about what your tag line would have been.
    Mr. Coffee is a really interesting character and I wish that we could have seen more of him. I didn't really think of him as a god-like figure until you brought it up but i see where you are coming from :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I can attest to an many a mornings...Mr. Coffee certainly is god. I find it really interesting that you put him as god, when I saw him more as a personified death.
    Also, I think you have a wonderful concept with the use of vegetation. I wish I would have thought of something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your poster idea!! It's so detailed, and the different colored flowers for the different imaginations is really cool. I like the dates in the trees too. It sounds like it would look really cool and be an awesome thing to have after you've seen it (or read it) so you can look back and find all those details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everything here...seriously. From the colors on the poster representing the characters to your analysis of Mr. Coffee. Wish I had something more to add....I'm just going to "like" this like it's Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your idea of using colors to represent the women. I had a lot of trouble thinking of a way to put them in the poster. Your ideas for this are really creative. Putting the dates in the trees is a really great idea! I feel like you included everything that was important and needed to be put into the poster.

    ReplyDelete