Monday, February 11, 2013

Hornby's Progression applied to "How I Learned to Drive"


Consistently through Vogel’s How I Learned to Drive the characters seem to reference the image of Lil’Bit’s boobs and her sexual budding.  This repeats multiple times when Lil’bit is alone with Uncle Peck and when he is fondling her and also when Lil’bit is speaking with the women in the show and finally when her family including her grandpa are making fun of her large boobs and her sexual development.  This image foreshadows Lil’bit’s development not only physically but mentally as a mature woman.  Uncle Peck was the one who took the most notice of Lil’Bit’s development and therefore by the end he was he one who gave her the time of day and was there for her so that she could mature as an intelligent young woman and in the end she is thankful for that. 
            IN the Movie Harold and Maude a motif is that Maude often refers to how she is 79 years old and that soon she will be 80 years old, which foreshadows that she is going to die (kill herself peacefully) when she is 80 years old because that is when her life will be filled and complete.  The author and director used this motif to complete the production by making Maude always particularly bring this up when she is at a funeral or a burial.  The writer also made Maude’s character to be very free spirited. She lived as if she was going to die tomorrow and so when she would mention how she was almost 80 in a few days, it was a constant reference to how she really was going end her life.  I kind of think that a motif in film is very similar to that in theatre and that motifs can be executed in similar fashion through both mediums.  

2 comments:

  1. Your example of a motif in this play was very clear to me. I think that a motif in film can be similar to a motif in theatre as well, but that each has the potential to be different through interpretation. For example, in The Conduct of Life, I stated that one of the motifs was everyone noticing Orlando’s nasty behavior shift. I believe that if staged, there are tons of ways to portray this motive compared to the script just bluntly putting it out there. I really don’t know what I’m saying Yvette, but I agree with you haha, I just think that it can be affected. Not what the motif is, but the quality and the power of it I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never realized that her coming of age and growing boobies would foreshadow what happened. I'm glad you picked up on that. I just thought her family was a little invasive and obsessed about looks. Much of the play does focus on her "budding sexuality" as you put it and I'm glad you pointed out the hints throughout the script that led you to that conclusion.

    ReplyDelete